Thursday, June 27, 2013

Yes, that's my child screaming.

I usually try to remain Positive Polly, but today I really struggled.

Let's start at the beginning.

Today was Billy's 2 year old well child check with his pediatrician.  I should have known that our visit wasn't going to be candy and rainbows when I passed a vacant building on our way to the office that had a big "Coming Soon" sign with Billy's doctor's name on it.  So he was moving, no big deal.  I later found out why.

When we checked in it took FOREVER.  Now, that was partially our fault since I had new insurance information to give them.  The staff in the front were super sweet so I wasn't at all irritated. yet.

Our appointment was at 3.  We didn't get called back until 3:20.  Understandable, sure, for me.  Not for Billy.  I will say he was a trooper and was really good waiting.  I am so thankful for Curious George on YouTube and that my phone was fully charged.

The nurse was very kind, but Billy didn't want any part of her taking his temperature, listening to his heart and lungs, or taking his weight and measurements.  Yes, that is my child screaming like he's being murdered.  Sorry.

She told us he didn't have to have shots this time, YES!, but that he would have to have his blood taken. Crap.

When the lab tech came in she seemed nice enough, but as it would turn out she's not so good with kids.  No gloves on to take blood...really?  Squeezed and squeezed his little pricked finger for a good five minutes while I helped her hold him.  He squirmed, he screamed, he cried, he kicked.  She was frustrated, I was frustrated, and she yelled at Billy.  Um...he's 2!  You pricked his finger and are squeezing it over and over.  He's not going to be happy about it.  I'm not sure what exactly she expected me to do but she was quite snarky when she left.  Billy wouldn't let her put on the band-aid.  He moved so much it was a wad in his hand.  She let out a sigh and told me to try and hold gauze on it so he wouldn't bleed all over everything. The sarcasm with which she said this and the eye roll sent me over the edge.  Now I know she was just doing her job, and needed to get a certain amount of blood out, but couldn't there have been a better way?  Or if not could she not have been a little more understanding?  And for heaven's sake, girl, put some gloves on.

A resident that was working with Billy's doctor came in right after the lab tech left so he got to see Billy red faced and tear streaked.  Then he started messing with him, checking his ears and such.  That went over like a lead balloon.  Billy got so worked up he puked on me.  This has become a running theme with him.  Second puke incident on me in the last few weeks.  All because of crying too much.  I shouldn't even bother showering or wearing clean clothes when I know he's going to get like this.  Blah.

Then the doctor came in and was fabulous as always.  He smoothed things over with me and with Billy and we left feeling taken care of.  He said that he and another doctor were opening up their own practice because they were not happy with the customer service and the way some things were being handled.  I see what he means! On the way out I had to pick up his shot records.  That little chore took 25 minutes.  So, grand total time spent at the doctor today...1:45.  Come on.

We're home now and all is well.  At least he's not crying and I no longer smell like puke.  Victory!


  1. Oh. My. Goodness! I would have flipped out at that lady for yelling at my toddler!! I'm glad for you guys that your doctor is going to his own practice where he can make sure things are handled the correct way...and I would think that you would be able to report somewhere that the gal came in to take his blood and didn't wear gloves...that's a safety issue for both her and the person who's blood she is taking!