Tuesday, March 25, 2014

First Half Marathon Recap

If you had asked me a year ago to go out run 13.1 miles, I would have laughed out a, "No way!  I'm NOT a runner!"
Somewhere in the last twelve months that changed, and I am changed.
If you are a Facebook friend or follow me on Instagram, I'm sorry I overloaded your feeds Sunday.  I'm just so stinking proud that I actually did it.
Here's a recap of the race.
Pretty much the entire week before I was on edge.  I was nervous about every little detail of the race. "Where will the spectators park?  How will I see Bill and my family?  What if I need to use the bathroom?" etc.  Wednesday or Thursday Bill asked me if I was nervous, I guess he could tell.  I'll say I really didn't need to worry about all of that.  It totally worked itself out and I had a fantastic support system of girls I was running with and supporters cheering me on there and through social media.
Saturday was packet pickup at the expo.  I was super impressed with how easy it was to get to the expo.  My mom, Shara, her daughter Mikyla and I took the DART train to get there so we didn't have to deal with parking or traffic.  Loved that!

We got there a little after it opened so it wasn't super busy yet.  It was really well organized and easy to get through.  My favorite booth was Parker University of Chiropractic Wellness.  The doctors were giving free exams and taping runners up.  Fantastic!  I've been having mid to lower back pain and a lot of soreness in my calves.  The exam was quick and painless.  It really helped my pain and eased my tension.  I should look into regular chiropractic care.

For months I've envied the "race gear" photos people post the night before their race.  You know, the ones with their shoes, race bib, and their perfectly planned outfit.  I was so stoked to take one of my own Saturday night.

My best friend, more like a second sister, Casey, drove from Austin to cheer me on.  She met up with us Saturday night in time for Spaghetti Warehouse and a red box movie.  I'm so glad she came!

I didn't sleep well Saturday night.  Nerves I guess.  I went to bed early, for me, and tried to stay asleep.  I ended up awake every couple of hours and had the strangest dreams.  When I woke up a little after four, I hopped out of bed and got ready in a record amount of time.  I ate what I always eat for breakfast and waited for Shara to pick me up at 5:30.  Casey and my mom woke up and drank a cup of coffee with me while I tried to chill out.  There was no chilling out.

After Shara picked me up we headed out to ride the DART train to the start line.  I'm really glad we didn't have to deal with traffic and parking.  We also got to ride with other runners.

We made it there with plenty of time to walk around and warm up.  It seemed like for.ev.er before my corral got to go.  Oh, that's because I'm a turtle and at the back of the pack.  It was nice to be back there with runners that go my pace.  We were able to spread out and run-walk-run as we needed to.  I set a few goals for myself for this first half.  One...finish.  Two...finish under 3 hours.  Three...enjoy and take a few pictures along the way.  I'm happy to say that I accomplished all three! :)
Here are a few shots along the way.

I checked my phone a few times during the run to know when and where to look for my family, to read encouraging texts and to read encouraging Instagram comments.  Thanks for the support everyone!!!
I followed my training plan of running a minute, walking a minute until my iPod died.  That app really runs the battery down.  When I saw my family I handed it off to Casey so I wouldn't have to mess with it or the head phones.  I continued to run and walk for a little bit as I needed to.  I found that I went too quick at the beginning, so the further I went, the more my pace suffered.  Next time I'll start out slower and then kick it up about halfway through.
Around mile 5 I had to pee.  There was no holding it anymore so I found a potty with no line and went for it.  Between mile 7 or 8 they handed out GU gels.  I think that's what they're called.  I've never tried them, but I got one because they were free and I knew if I didn't need it, Bill would love it.   I ended up breaking the rule of not doing anything new on race day.  When I got to mile 10 I was slowing down and dreaming of fajitas and guacamole.  I was hungry and I had the beginnings of a headache.  I pulled the gel out of my pocket, salted caramel, and ripped it open.  It was amazingly delicious.  I was surprised and so thankful to have it.  A little ways down the course there was another water station so I was able to stop for a quick second to finish eating and wash it down.  Hallelujah!

My family followed my progress with the Find my Friends app.  They were able to watch me in several spots on the course.  It really helped to have their support as I ran by.  They were champs to drive around all morning battling the traffic and standing out in the cold.  Thanks y'all!!

When we were getting close to the 12 mile mark, there were groups around me laughing and cursing the last mile.  They were hilarious and a much needed comedic break.  There were finishers walking along side showing us their medals and encouraging us during our last push.  It really is true that runners support other runners.  It really doesn't matter how fast/slow/whatever.  If you run, you're a runner, and you are loved.

Rounding the corner into Fair Park was exciting and a huge relief.  It was almost over.  I knew at some point it would hit me, because let's face it, I'm sentimental and I'm a crier.  This was that moment.  I started crying then and running faster.  The closer I got the finish line, the more emotional I got.  I've always hated running.  I've always stunk at sports and I've never enjoyed physical activity.  This was and is a big deal, but I think I've doubted myself.  I think that in the back of my mind I wasn't sure I could or would actually do it.  So when I came around that last bend and realized I had, you see the ugly cry face.

I've never been more proud of that face.  I did it.  And I didn't die!

Smiles from ear to ear!


Casey and I :)

I finally earned that 13.1 sticker!

My family gave me this ring to celebrate!

Official results.  They are what they are!  It's a starting point!
I just realized I didn't take a picture with my "fan club" or with my husband.  I must remember to do that next time.  Speaking of next time...

Here I go again!!!

I'm out!
Mrs. T


  1. I am so happy for you and so proud of you! You rocked it!!! Way to go!